I’ve been trying to insert a new page so that we can have a whole section on food, but that doesn’t seem to be working, so instead I’m going to put up here some of the delicious things we have been eating recently:
3-4 medium (apple-sized) beetroot (about 500-600g). Grated coarsely or chopped into small dice
500 g ripe tomatoes, halved
1 clove garlic, chopped roughly
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil or sunflower oil
500 ml strong stock (beef is best, but chicken or vegetable will do)
Salt and freshly ground pepper
125 g real (ie Greek not Danish [this is copied word for word – honest!] feta cheese
- Place the halved tomatoes in an ovenproof dish. Throw over the garlic and drizzle over half the olive oil.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes in a fairly hot oven (190⁰C) until soft and pulpy. Rob through a sieve to remove the skin and pips
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and seat the onion for a few minutes until soft. Add the beetroot and the stock and bring to the boil. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer gently for 7-10 minutes until the beetroot is tender
- Stir in the tomato puree, transfer the soup to a blender and process until completely smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary
- To serve cold, chill the soup in the fridge. Crumble a little feta into bowls once served. Optional: garnish with a sprinkling of grated raw beetroot
- To serve hot…… serve and eat! Crumble the feta into bowls once served.